Saturday, August 30, 2014

Wedding Garland

I had some Wedding Color Paint Chips, Save the Dates, and Wedding Invites left over, so I decided to make a garland out of them. 
I used my 1.5" punch to punch out as many circles as I could. 
DIY Wedding Garland
Next I used thick thread and my sewing machine to string them all together.
DIY Wedding Garland
Not sure what I am going to do with this yet, but I loved how it turned out!
DIY Wedding Garland

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Wedding Flowers

Wedding flowers are wicked expensive. Like stupid expensive. Plus they are basically just dying from before you even start using them. I just can't feed into that kind of nonsense. 
Mark suggested that we went flower free, but I couldn't really get behind that either. So Erin and I set out to make flowers for the wedding! We don't mess around! That being said, the beginning was all messing around. We tried several different things, like making felt flowers, and were kinda hitting the wall. Until Erin made her first paper flower using information she found on the Internet!
DIY Wedding Flowers
I was completely over-the-moon sold. 
We started making the flowers using Erin's Cricut to cut out all of the paper shapes. She had several die options and the Cricut allowed us to manipulate the shapes to make standard flowers, like roses, and our own creations. 
DIY Wedding Flowers
Cutting out the shapes was only the first step. After we had the shapes, we used Erin's Copic markers to color the edges of the paper to make them look more realistic. Then we used Quilling techniques to curve the paper into petal shapes. Finally, we hot glued it all together. 
After making our first few flowers, we realized we were going to need some help. Luckily, our friends Cort and Liz, were able to pitch in and help us get everything done. 
After spending months making all of the roses we needed (67!), we created easier grey flowers (68 more!) to go with them. These flowers utilized some fake queen anns lace as it's center. 
DIY Wedding Flowers
Finally, we used the Cricut to cut out leaves for the bouquets and attached the bouquet flowers to thick floral wire with hot glue. Erin and Liz arranged them into perfect shapes, before we cut the wire to the correct length and wrapped it all in ribbon. We made 6 bouquets for my bridesmaids and then 1 large bouquet for me. 
DIY Wedding Flowers
DIY Wedding Flowers
Then we needed to make the boutonnieres and corsages. We used a simple die cut pattern for my Sizzix, added some color (copic and watercolor), and again used some quilling techniques. 
DIY Wedding Flowers
DIY Wedding Flowers
DIY Wedding Flowers
DIY Wedding Flowers
These turned out so much better than any flowers I could have bought. Plus they are now keepsakes for the wonderful people in my wedding party. AND it cost me less than $100 in paper. However, it was hours and hours and hours of work.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Vegas!

Mark, several of our closest friends, and I went to Vegas! There were some rough parts in the start (as in a 3 hour layover). Never fly Spirit. But we tackled the bad head on!
Our wonderful can-do attitude was rewarded the second we landed in Vegas, in the form a almost free limo ride to the hotel!
The next reward was waiting at the hotel!
The few days we were in Vegas were a blur of CONSTANT activity and little sleep. We had such a great time, but I don't think I ever need to go back.
 Then, all of a sudden, we were headed home.