Skip to main content

Boudoir Shoot

I (like most women I know) am not comfortable with my body. This is entirely stupid. I hate that I feed into society and media's interpretation of what beauty is and give it more importance in my life than is necessary. Being thin or prettier would not make me a better friend, wife (to-be), employee, or anything else. I tell myself that it would make me happier, but I have been thinner and was not any happier. 

At the end of the day, maybe it is just an easy way to hate myself and explain why other's might not like me as much as I want: "You didn't stick to your diet, you didn't lose weight, you suck, that's why you didn't nail that interview". This is completely absurd. As a rational woman, I know this. Yet I truly feel that if I was thinner then people would like me more, I would like me more, and life would be easier. 

Mark and I plan to have a child some day and there is a good chance that said child will be a girl. I absolutely do not want her to think it's correct to judge herself (or other's) worth by her waist line. I want her to achieve real things in life, like becoming a judge, senator, scientist, author, or whatever. I want her to judge her worth on her contributions to society and her loved ones. I do not want her to feel like everything she has accomplished means nothing if she can't squeeze into a size 4. Therefore, I have to stop feeling that way as well. I have to show her that beauty and self-worth are not 100% linked to the body you inhabit. 

This is a HUGE undertaking; even as I write this, a part of me screams "NO! You're wrong! You will only be worthy of love and success if you are thin and beautiful. Every sacrifice is worth that end, because it will give you everything you ever dreamed of". It scares me how much I believe that and still know that it is my own perception of the world, not (hopefully) reality. 

Of course, it is very important to eat healthy and regularly exercise. I am not in any way trying to negate that. I am trying to assert that I should be doing those things in a healthy manner in order to be a healthy individual, not to be thin. I should not be judging my success of the day by whether or not I ate less than 1500 calories and worked out. I should be striving to be a more active individual who is conscious of the things I eat, but is not obsessed with them. 

To this end, I decided to give Mark a present this year that I have put off for a long time: A Boudoir Shoot. I have never felt that I was thin enough to feel comfortable doing one and certainly didn't want digital evidence of what my body looked like. However, that is not OK. Mark loves me exactly as I am and I need to as well. So, I decided that even though I was not comfortable, I would do it anyway. 

I worked with Megan Hannon Photography, who was recommended to me by a friend who recently completed a boudoir shoot with her. I absolutely loved the experience! I was not expecting that, at all. I really thought it would be awkward and humiliating. Megan was so sweet, relaxed, and encouraging that it made the entire experience a delight. I genuinely felt more empowered and in love with myself (body and all). I would work with her again in a millisecond. 

Yesterday, I got back my photos. They are amazing! There were a few that I was not comfortable with (I should have remembered to suck in), because I am still not comfortable with me. However, 95% of them made me feel very good about my body and myself (which I know is still judging myself by how I feel about my body. However, let's face it, I need to feel good about my body and how it looks. I just need to make sure that's not the only (or most important) thing I am basing my worth on). Mark is still raving about them. Which I love. The entire experience is helping me on my way towards changing my personal view on  beauty, worth, and myself. 

I will always want to feel beautiful and have others perceive me as so. That will never change. However, I want to truly accept that weight/size is only one party of beauty. Who I am, what I do, how I contribute, and how I affect others are also parts of being a beautiful. More important parts. Now I just need to believe that. 

Comments

  1. Those look AWESOME! You are gorgeous! I can't wait to see the ones you decided not to upload and share with the rest of us. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Felt Animal Masks

Sarah redesigned the animal masks for me and I could not be more pleased with the results (we are referring to them as the chibi versions)! They are much more appropriately proportioned for smaller faces and printing ease. She even remade all of the patterns for me!  Head over here to see how I made my very first felt animal mask.  This is going to be a long post, as I am going to share all of them here. However, I am not going to go into the details. This is really more of a way for me to show off Sarah's amazing designs and my hard work! Bat:   Bear:   Fox:   Giraffe:   Golden Retriever:   Hippo:   Liger:   Owl:   Panther:   Red Panda:   Sloth:   Snake:   Tiger:   Wolf: If you're interested in buying these masks or the digital templates (with instructions) to create your own, check out my Esty shop: MarstenCo !

New House Colors

Our new home is not open concept. It has many distinct  rooms, which I'm currently loving and enjoying picking out paint colors for. I love a house with character and color, but I don't think it should overwhelm. When deciding my colors,  I chose some basic neutral grays, bieges, whites, and blacks that could be used as connecting colors throughout the house. I also made sure any connecting rooms had colors that complemented each other. Next, I determined a focal design element (painting, furniture, flooring, etc.) that helped defined the room's aesthetic and took into consideration the era the house was built in. Lastly, I used Sherwin Williams  to make personalized color schemes for each room to keep me inspired and focused. Below are the colors I've chosen for each room - don't judge until you see how phenomenally each room turned out (click the links to see)! Living Room : Dining Room : Kitchen: Library: Master Bedroom : Nursery : Guest Room: Upstairs Bathroom:

How to Make Awesome Felt Masks

I forgot to post anything about this. Way back in September, I created some felt masks for Mark and me to wear at the Big Zoo Party. I am very interested in making animal masks for all of the people in our bridal party as well. I think that would make some fun zoo photos. I started by deciding what animal masks I wanted to create and then looked up pictures and masks of said animals. This time I went with Red Fox and Red Panda. The next step was figuring out what supplies I needed. For these masks, I found a very nice mask form and used glue to layer the felt over it. I decided on the design I wanted to reproduce and printed it up to be the size I needed for our masks. Then I cut out the felt to match the shapes I needed. It was pretty simple. I then placed the design on the mask and moved felt pieces around until it looked the way I wanted it to. The hardest part was gluing it all onto the mask without making a huge mess or ruining the felt. I added some finishing touc