Skip to main content

Our Meeting

Serendipity. Happenstance. Fate. Luck. Whatever you want to call it, something or someone, was working for us on February 12, 2006. Both Mark and my father's invited us to a free lunch at Claddagh’s, the one thing neither of us had ever turned down.  We both showed up, wearing what they had found on the floor that morning, expecting nothing more than a free meal; neither of us expecting that we would be meeting the person we would be spending the rest of their lives with.

I was living in East Lansing at the time and was finishing my junior year of college at Michigan State University. Mark had recently moved to the area, in hopes of returning to school and starting a new chapter in his life.

The first thing I noticed was his smile and quick wit. Even looking like a hobo, he seemed at ease with himself and able to put others at ease as well. I kept hoping he would ask for my number (Mark said he regretted not asking).

I spent the next few months pestering my father to get Mark’s number and staking out Claddagh’s in hopes of a second meeting. Needless to say, neither pursuit panned out. Just when I was giving up hope, Mark emailed me. He had looked me up on MSU’s webpage and said he was hoping to make friends in the area. I contacted him immediately and set up a time to meet.

When we met at Harper’s, I had one thing on my mind. While he was focused on gaining new friends, I knew that Mark was somebody worth pursuing a relationship with. Using my best subtly, flirting, and feminine wiles, I attempted to seduce Mark and ensure a deeper relationship than friendship.

At the end of the night, it came to a coin toss. Again, maybe it was fate, maybe it was meant to be, maybe it was just plain luck, but the coin came up tails. I won. In the end, I like to think, so did Mark.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Felt Animal Masks

Sarah redesigned the animal masks for me and I could not be more pleased with the results (we are referring to them as the chibi versions)! They are much more appropriately proportioned for smaller faces and printing ease. She even remade all of the patterns for me!  Head over here to see how I made my very first felt animal mask.  This is going to be a long post, as I am going to share all of them here. However, I am not going to go into the details. This is really more of a way for me to show off Sarah's amazing designs and my hard work! Bat:   Bear:   Fox:   Giraffe:   Golden Retriever:   Hippo:   Liger:   Owl:   Panther:   Red Panda:   Sloth:   Snake:   Tiger:   Wolf: If you're interested in buying these masks or the digital templates (with instructions) to create your own, check out my Esty shop: MarstenCo !

New House Colors

Our new home is not open concept. It has many distinct  rooms, which I'm currently loving and enjoying picking out paint colors for. I love a house with character and color, but I don't think it should overwhelm. When deciding my colors,  I chose some basic neutral grays, bieges, whites, and blacks that could be used as connecting colors throughout the house. I also made sure any connecting rooms had colors that complemented each other. Next, I determined a focal design element (painting, furniture, flooring, etc.) that helped defined the room's aesthetic and took into consideration the era the house was built in. Lastly, I used Sherwin Williams  to make personalized color schemes for each room to keep me inspired and focused. Below are the colors I've chosen for each room - don't judge until you see how phenomenally each room turned out (click the links to see)! Living Room : Dining Room : Kitchen: Library: Master Bedroom : Nursery : Guest Room: Upstairs Bathroom:

How to Make Awesome Felt Masks

I forgot to post anything about this. Way back in September, I created some felt masks for Mark and me to wear at the Big Zoo Party. I am very interested in making animal masks for all of the people in our bridal party as well. I think that would make some fun zoo photos. I started by deciding what animal masks I wanted to create and then looked up pictures and masks of said animals. This time I went with Red Fox and Red Panda. The next step was figuring out what supplies I needed. For these masks, I found a very nice mask form and used glue to layer the felt over it. I decided on the design I wanted to reproduce and printed it up to be the size I needed for our masks. Then I cut out the felt to match the shapes I needed. It was pretty simple. I then placed the design on the mask and moved felt pieces around until it looked the way I wanted it to. The hardest part was gluing it all onto the mask without making a huge mess or ruining the felt. I added some finishing touc