Skip to main content

Gown Shopping

Today I went wedding gown shopping with Sarah and Mark. The intention was to try on the gown I was obsessed with (as it was on sale) and realize that it was not the dress for me. So I could move on and go real gown shopping with my mom and friends later. However, that is not what happened.

Everything lined up and I ended up leaving with the gown of my dreams. I have been obsessed with this gown for months. I found a picture on Pinterest that led to nowhere. I had no idea who made the gown, where I could find it, or what it looked like below the waist. I searched several times for it, with no luck, and had given up on finding it.

I decided to look for it again, after Mark proposed, and found it on the first search. There was only one boutique in Michigan that was selling it and they only had one gown left. The sample. They said they were having a sample sale that weekend. The weekend my mom was in Chicago.

The gown was way out of my budget and I doubted the one size they had (the sample size) would fit. So I decided to try it on and get it out of my mind. I also tried on several other dresses, to get perspective. Here are the losers:

When I tried on my dream gown, it fit perfectly. There wouldn't need to be any alterations (as long as my weight/size stayed the same), I could get married in it the next day if I wanted to. However, it was still too expensive, even with the sample sale. After several negotiations and almost leaving, the boutique offered it to me at cost!

The gown was still more than I wanted to spend, but I didn't feel like I would ever find a gown I loved more. I ended up leaving with my wedding gown and a slightly hurt mom (who would have liked to be there).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Felt Animal Masks

Sarah redesigned the animal masks for me and I could not be more pleased with the results (we are referring to them as the chibi versions)! They are much more appropriately proportioned for smaller faces and printing ease. She even remade all of the patterns for me!  Head over here to see how I made my very first felt animal mask.  This is going to be a long post, as I am going to share all of them here. However, I am not going to go into the details. This is really more of a way for me to show off Sarah's amazing designs and my hard work! Bat:   Bear:   Fox:   Giraffe:   Golden Retriever:   Hippo:   Liger:   Owl:   Panther:   Red Panda:   Sloth:   Snake:   Tiger:   Wolf: If you're interested in buying these masks or the digital templates (with instructions) to create your own, check out my Esty shop: MarstenCo !...

New House Colors

Our new home is not open concept. It has many distinct  rooms, which I'm currently loving and enjoying picking out paint colors for. I love a house with character and color, but I don't think it should overwhelm. When deciding my colors,  I chose some basic neutral grays, bieges, whites, and blacks that could be used as connecting colors throughout the house. I also made sure any connecting rooms had colors that complemented each other. Next, I determined a focal design element (painting, furniture, flooring, etc.) that helped defined the room's aesthetic and took into consideration the era the house was built in. Lastly, I used Sherwin Williams  to make personalized color schemes for each room to keep me inspired and focused. Below are the colors I've chosen for each room - don't judge until you see how phenomenally each room turned out (click the links to see)! Living Room : Dining Room : Kitchen: Library: Master Bedroom : Nursery : Guest Room: Upstairs Bathroom: ...

Nursery Remodel

There wasn't a huge need to do much more than update the paint colors and refinish the hardwood in the upstairs. But I was excited to get our son's room ready to go and inviting for him. It was the top priority when we started working on the house, as we wanted to make the transition as comfortable for him as possible.  The carpet was down when we bought the house, but outside of that, here's what we started with: If you haven't noticed, I am very partial to blues, teals, greens, grays, and oranges. I think it would be hard to leave my house without being aware of that. Hopefully, our son is into that as well! You might have noticed that his bookcases and changing table have fun backings. As He outgrew his muslin blankets and I needed to start hiding cords from him, I temporarily adhered the blankets to the backs.