Wednesday, December 18, 2013

How to Make a Chain Chomp Knit Hat

This year I made a lot of my Christmas gifts. One of the really fun ones was the Chain Chomp knit hat I made for my sister's boyfriend. In case you are unaware of whom 'Chain Chomp' is, he is one of the enemies in 'Super Mario Bros' video games. Mark came across this idea on the inter-webs and suggested we make it for Jake. 
Chain Chomp
I started by looking at other's designs and a picture of Chain Chomp. I wanted the hat to be functional but still obviously a Chain Chomp. 
After picking up a black knit hat, I had Mark wear it while I chalked on my design layout and then cut out the felt pieces.
Chain Chomp Hat DIY
Chain Chomp Hat DIY
I made sure that everything was still lining up correctly before I glued (just the outline) on the felt pieces with 'Quick Grip' (the best felt glue EVA!) and then sewed them in place. Mark was brave enough to let me glue/sew everything on while he was wearing the hat, in order to make sure it was stretched correctly.
Chain Chomp Hat DIY
Once that was done I did some finishing touches to make sure all of the chalk was gone and everything looked correct.
Lastly, I created a felt chain link for the back of the hat. I saw several people place this at the top/back of the scull, but I thought it looked better at the bottom of the hat in back.
Chain Chomp Hat DIY
Chain Chomp Hat DIY
Chain Chomp Hat DIY
That's it! All that was left was wrapping and giving it to Jake! 

No comments:

Post a Comment