Monday, December 30, 2013

4 Days Without Power in an Ice Storm

On Saturday December 21st, according to the web around 400,000 people (including Mark and me) lost power in Michigan. As a beautiful ice storm raged around us, our power lines froze and snapped as branches crashed down around and on them. Not to mention all the transformers that blew out. 
Luckily we had recently spent a few grand taking down huge dead trees in our yard, so we had minimal damage.
Now I am not really 'hip' to all this electricity lingo. As far as I can tell it's all just science magic and I like it that way. I am not one to care why something works, as long as it does. Now this mentality is really not helpful when things stop working. Thankfully, Mark is of the opposite mentality (even though I tease him and call him a bore for it). This was our saving grace.
Mark knew exactly what to do. He woke up early Sunday morning and started a beautifully warm fire in our fireplace and got everything ready for us to hunker in for the long haul. We were some of the lucky few that had gas heated water and a fireplace, so it wasn't as bad as it could be.
We considered fleeing (like many other did) to a friend or relatives house. However, my ark of animals put a hamper on that. It's hard to ask someone to take in 8 animals for an indefinitely number of days. Thus, Mark and I decided to go out and buy a generator. However, apparently we were not quick enough to that thought, as they were all sold out in the area. We ordered one from Amazon Prime and hoped the fireplace would keep us warm until it came. 
We kept seeing power go back on all around us and continued to feel the cold creep into our house. Consumers website said it would be a week until power was back on and I was starting to get a bit stressed. As beautiful as the ice and snow was, it was also damn cold. I kept myself amused by pretending to b a photographer.
Finally on day 4 the generator arrived! It could only run for 4-6 hours on a tank and had to be watched, to some degree, the entire time. Too many house fires to risk us leaving it alone. However, it did allow us time to heat up the house, turn it off, and spend a few hours away celebrating Christmas with our families. 
The best, and most ironic part, was when we returned from celebrating, the power was back on! So many people worked around the clock, came in from other states, and gave up their holidays to help get us back our power. I am so grateful that they were willing to do this (and sincerely hope they got a lot of pay for it).
I know that even now (on day 9) that several thousands of people are still with out power and that people are working hard to fix that. I really hope they get their power back soon, I can't image how awful it has been for them. 4 days was too long for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment